According to Charles Darwin’s theory, all living things have evolved in ways that would place them at an advantage for survival. Characteristics that are well suited to the environment are likely to be passed on while those that serve no significant purpose would be lost.
As we humans evolved, we have lost a lot of our thick facial hair, except eyebrows. Why do we still have them and why are they important?
The main function of eyebrows is to protect our eyes from rain, sweat, and sunlight. The arch shape allows water to divert around to the sides of our face and shields our eyes from the sun and dust. Eyebrows are very important because we humans rely heavily on our sight. Without them, we would get blurred vision in the rain or while sweating. We would also not have any protection under the sun or on a windy day.
If we did not have eyebrows, some scientists say that we may have developed other facial features, such as very long eyelashes or a protruding forehead that would do the same thing as eyebrows.
In addition to eye protection, eyebrows also take on another function: communication. We use our eyebrows to make various facial expressions that convey different meanings. For example, bringing eyebrows down and closer probably means that the person is annoyed or worried. On the other hand, people may raise their eyebrows when they are surprised.
Eyebrows also serve some aesthetic purposes. Some people—women and men—spend hours to style their eyebrows by trimming, plucking, and coloring. This is because eyebrows can make a lot of difference to people’s appearance. While there are individual differences, droopy eyebrows can make one look tired and dark eyebrows can make the eyes stand out.
* Talk!! Talk!!
1. What can you say about Charles Darwin’s theory? Explain your answer.
2. In your opinion, why do you think we have eyebrows?
3. Can you add some more importance/purpose of eyebrows. Discuss your answers.
4. Do you have any idea on how to modify your eyebrows? If yes, share it class. If no, would you like to experience some ways to modify your eyebrows?
5. Kindly explain, why eyebrows are a major feature in defining the face.
- According to [preposition] -as stated, reported, or recorded by (someone or something).
- Evolved [verb] -to change or develop slowly often into a better.
- Advantage [noun] - something (such as a good position or condition) that helps to make someone or something better or more likely to succeed than others.
- Passed [verb] - to move past someone or something.
- Serve [verb]- to provide what is needed by or for.
- Transitions = in addition, on the other hand, for example
- Possessive Noun [noun + ‘s /’] = Darwin’s, people’s
- Present Perfect [has/have + past participle] = have evolved, have developed
- As we humans evolved, we have lost a lot of our thick facial hair, except eyebrows.
- Why do we still have them and why are they important?
- Eyebrows are very important because we humans rely heavily on our sight.
- Without them, we would get blurred vision in the rain or while sweating.
- Eyebrows also serve some aesthetic purposes.
Make a Sentence
- thick, except, worried, appearance, stand out